January 28, 2014

2014 Bow Ties: Liberty

During a recent (and long over-due and fantastic and relatively warm) trip to New York, I bought the least amount possible -- 1/4 yard -- of Liberty Lawn (classic, Moss Kayoko, specifically) for the boys' new bow ties. Their dad's job requires boys and men to wear a suit and tie to visit the State Senate in the Illinois Capitol and, of course, one can't wear the tie one wore last year.

This year, I told myself, they will be Liberty.
  
Size "6" bow tie in Liberty Lawn, Moss Kayoko
One late night later they are. And they're lovely. 

I like my bow ties more Pee-wee than Bozo and with Liberty Lawn running at $1 an inch I aimed to use the least amount possible so that there might be some leftover. While my go-to tutorial seems to have disappeared, there are plenty out there to get you started. 

Here are my piece dimensions for a Liberty bow tie for a 6 year-old, which includes a tiny 1/4" seem allowance. Size up and down appropriately. 
  • 2 Main fabric rectangles and 1 felt insert each: 9x2.5"
  • wrap around the middle rectangle, which I fold over, sew into a tube, and press: 3.5 x 2.25" 
  • 15x 0.75" finished neck strap is made like bias tape and in three pieces: 5x3" center in Liberty and two 6x3" pieces of corresponding, less expensive fabric at the edges. I used white linen from the stash. If you feel like splurging, make the whole thing 15x3" out of Liberty!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment